Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Some Reading For You

During my morning blog reading I came across a couple of great posts and I thought I'd share them with you. Lauren, the creator of the Wearing History sewing patterns, has this great post on creating a finished sewn item that will be loved. I'm going to try all of her tips this summer...and maybe splurge for a couple of her patterns. I mean, check out the beach trousers and the WW11 work overalls! I think the overall pattern as a playsuit would be so cute and cool for summer and beach trousers would help me channel my inner Jean Harlow. What do you think? Kristen wrote a wonderful entry about body image. It really spoke to me. I have my issues, of course, but it breaks my heart when my beautiful girls complain about their size - they all are healthy, active, and wear the smallest jeans available for juniors. Seriously, Erica is one size bigger than Khloe even though they are eight years apart. Since my surgery last year my fibro hasn't been bothering me. I've been able to move around, dance in the kitchen, walk laps around the track - I feel so much better and want to dress to show how I feel even though, according to the charts, I'm overweight. Our force-fed mentality on what's attractive makes me sick. Anyway, Kristen is having a sewalong that I'm trying to figure out how to join. It's for skivvies! I'd like to make a slip or a vintage-inspired cami and tap pant set but don't know if I'll be able to get to the fabric store. I found Kristen's blog when she hosted a Pushing Daisies sewalong. I'm now obsessed with having some Chuck and Olive clothes....obsessed, I tell you! I watch the show all the time (it's been playing on the Chiller channel) and am trying to decide where to start. Eventually I want to get the blu-rays since I love the show so much - sometimes fast-forwarding through the commercials gets irritating. I've been looking around the internet for screen captures from the show but haven't had much luck...sometimes my searching skills aren't so great. Okay, I veered way off-topic there. Sorry. I have a finished top to share but can't get a good picture. I'll try taking the camera outside to see if that helps. I do have a finished knitting project for you

It's a duster for the swiffer handle! I used Red Heart, in purple of course, because the acrylic is supposed to grab dust better than smoother fibers. It's totally throw-in-the-washer safe, too. I'll tell you what, though, those loops really fought me. I understood the mechanics of making the stitch but the execution, well, I was all thumbs. It turned out well, though. Now if only I could get one of these kids to dust for me! I'm working on a post for tomorrow. See you soon!

No comments: