Monday, March 4, 2013

Buffy Style

When we first got Netflix Khloe and I watched all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'd heard so much about it but it aired when I was, for various reasons, unable to watch. Khloe and I really, really like it. Some of it annoyes me - the whole bad Angel stuff was kind of bleh to me. Well, I started watching it again a couple of weeks ago, skipping the episodes that I don't care for as much. Know what? I really like most of the clothes. In fact, Jenny was waring a skirt this morning (it's on the Chiller channel before school) that I'd really like for myself - bias-cut chiffon...I have a couple of dresses from the same time frame that are also the bias chiffony type. I'd love to find a pattern so I can make up a couple of skirts. I have some fabric just waiting to be sewn up. Tara wears a lot of the boho-Indian style of skirts and jeans that I've always liked but never owned but maybe I'll try to whip up a couple - I have some Indian clothes and saris that would work perfectly for both fabric and embellishment. As for Buffy herself, well, I've always been a fan of great boots. She's in the seasons where she wears pants - her high school days were all micro-minis that most of us (who have asses and thighs)would never be able to wear in public. Willow evolves into a cool gypsy look as she develops her powers. You know, I don't remember much about that people were wearing in real life during the Buffy years because I was busy with babies and such. Perhaps a Goodwill in a bigger city would have some of the looks that I'm eyeing. I know what you're thinking - where are the dress details? Well, I've been working on resizing the pattern. I've got the top cut out and ready to sew. I've just been, well, distracted a bit by my super hot honey...and preteen daughter drama. I'll be sewing up trials of the bodice until I get it just right and then will move on to the skirt. The problem is that I'm quite a bit bigger than the pattern in most areas so it's taken much research into how to adjust things. I want to get it done, though, because I want this dress in so many fabric! (Did I say that already?) I have a couple of others that I need to trace, too - some 50's ones from etsy that are my size but I don't want to mess up. I for got to mention Spike in my Buffy talk. What can I say? Jeans and black leather trench don't ever go out of style.

No comments: