Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hats Off

Around twenty years ago I had a hat that I wore all the time. It was slightly fedora shaped, black, courderoy, and from Avon. I wore it plain or wrapped with a scarf. Unfortunately, my ex-husband's stupid cat peed on it and ruined it. I miss that hat so much. I have lots of hats. Most of them are vintage - several only because they were new when I bought them and have gotten older. Three were gifts, given to me because I love hats and they were in the belongings of a wonderful lady who died. One is sadly in need of some restoration - a lovely 40's feathered beauty that needs reshaped and some new feathers. I'm going to wear my hats again, often, much to the dismay of my children. When my hair was long it was too thich for any of my hats to fit. Now that it's short they all fit perfectly. Yesterday I wore a round-brimmed one to the store. Yes, lots of people looked - maybe because it's slightly reminiscent of the one that Boy George wore in those colorful videos. Honestly, I don't care if people look at me when I'm feeling good and stylish and myself. They should look anyway. I walk tall and straight and smile. Perhaps they should try to emulate that a bit. (I hate that so many young people slouch! Ugh!) I'm planning to photograph my hat collection. Eventually they'll turn up here. You'll be amazed at the beads on a couple of them - the pumpkin one is spectacular. In the meantime, you can find me smiling and in a hat!

No comments: